Friday, January 29, 2010

Yes, I am doing a 5K

Some of y'all might know that I am training with Chrissy to do a 5K this June. I haven't told anyone in my family that I am doing this. I have told some of my work friends, and lets just say the response to me doing this is what I kind of expected. I mean really look at me I don't scream "runner" They look at me in disbelief or chuckle, I had one "friend" tell me to be careful because people fall over and have heart attacks or worse die.

Okay I know that she means well and is probably concern about my well-being, but I wish she would have kept her opinion to herself. And I am one that lets things roll off her back. But this bothered me.

I haven't told my family, really my mom, because I want to surprise them. I know when I go home in March I will hopefully lost some more weight but not enough for them to get to excited about. I just want to say in a casual conversation, Oh yeah by the way I just ran a 5K race.

I am really proud of Chrissy and me. We train 5-6 days a week. I love our signals, we put on our front porch lights on to let the other know 'I coming' I try to get up at 5:30 to wake up and get going, but when I get up I am thinking how much I don't want to. And after we go 2 miles I feel so great! And yes it is very very cold at 6 am. I couldn't go to sleep one night because that morning run was so great that I was thinking about getting a membership to the Centre or a personal trainer. I can't afford one right now but it if I could I am going to do it.

So I am all about rewarding myself for the accomplishment. I have been thinking what could I get? Well I found the perfect thing, it is a running shoe charm. And I can have it engraved, which I will probably put the date and 5K on it. It will be my first charm that I get to put on my bracelet. I am super excited! Crazy that I charm makes me gittie, but it is more about the accomplishment. I have not accomplished a lot in my life, so this is a very personal. I want to show myself and other that I can do this.




5 comments:

Bld424 said...

This is so lovely and encouraging! Good work! I am proud of you two for trying so hard and for getting up that early. Hurray! And I think the charm is a great memento for you!

Ashley said...

I think that's a great idea! I LOVE my charm bracelet that I received as a birthday present in 8th grade...I have added charms over the years and it means a lot to me.

Chrissy said...

Can we go together and get those charms? :o)

kimberly said...

Absolutely! I was going to ask you if you had a charm bracelet, if you did I was going to get one for you as a Thank You for encouraging me!

Jon S said...

Am I on the right blog. Who is training?