Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What is your Crutch?

I was watching T.V. and I commercial came on about medicine to quit smoking. And they talked about how smoking was her crutch. It got me to thinking, we all have crutches. Don't we?

I mean we all lean on something that is not the best for us and we know things we should do it in moderation, but it makes us feel good. Examples-Overeating, drinking, smoking, too much computer/TV, too much soda, etc...And yes I know that some of these things are very harmful, but my point is this. If we get rid of an addicting behavior how do we stop from gaining another?


If anyone has an opinion or comment I would love to hear them.

Sorry if this post is poorly written.

3 comments:

Bld424 said...

Oh, Kim... I have so much to say about this because I have had years of therapy!

My crutch was an eating disorder. It was not eating or undereating and also binging and purging. I found that when I stopped the behaviors associated with the eating disorder, I still had the emotions behind them.

And I still needed a way to deal.

Addictions just shift unless you get at the root of the addiction.

You've got to read some books - Changes That Heal
by Henry Cloud

Healing is A Choice
by Steve Arterburn

Dialectical Therapy Workbook http://www.amazon.com/Dialectical-Behavior-Therapy-Skills-Workbook/dp/1572245131

Yeah, I have had lots of therapy in this! You have to just identify why your crutch is helping you cope... you have to get down to the uncomfortable feelings that drive your behavior.

Chrissy said...

I have wondered the same thing. If I give up one thing but fill it with something else that is not helpful, then what? But I'm trying to have less computer time and fill it with cleaning time! :o)

My crutch was McD's. I have not been there in 7 days, Kim! :o)

kimberly said...

Chrissy-I am so proud of you not going to McD's for a week that is great. I am so ready for the warmer weather so I can start training for the 5K.