Saturday, December 12, 2009

Do I have the right words?

Everyone has had so many great blogs lately! They have really been giving me a lot to think about. Chrissy blog about Santa Claus really got me think about how am I going to explain Santa to Bailee. Then I started to think that is the least of my worries.

How am I going to explain adoption and where she came from? I know that we will tell her the truth. That is an absolute! I am not sure how to go about it. I have been told to start talking to her now even though she doesn't understand what I am talking about, so that when she starts understanding I will be comfortable talking to her about it. And I have started doing that. I even made up a song for her that I sing to her every night. There is a line in there that I tell her that she is my angel from above, my one and only love. We have story books about adoption and where she came from and we do read those to her on occasion, but I know that she is going to have more questions than what the book explains. I have talked with other adoptive parent and children of adoption and they have given my great advice, but I am scared. I am scared that Bailee just won't understand and resent/hate her birth parents and or Jim and me.

I know that some of you will say you have nothing to worry about. Bailee loves you and you are her only parents. And I know that y'all mean well. But really no one really knows what she is going to be like or how she is going to react. I pray that Jim and I can find the right words, and that she can find it in her heart to understand why she is with us.




1 comment:

Chrissy said...

Jennie was adopted. Maybe you could talk to her about it from the child's perspective? One of my girlfriends from H.S. was adopted, and she always knew. We were close enough for me to know that she did go through a time when she wanted to know her birth mother, but she never had bad feelings towards any of them (birth parents or adoptive parents).

Thanks for sharing your feelings. Even though I've not experienced it, I want to know how to pray for you and maybe help give you ideas of who to talk to.