Thursday, July 22, 2010

Playing the "Do you know Who I am?" card

Living in a small town I have noticed several things. One of the major ones is that certain last names have weight in a town. How they got that way I have no idea, I am sure it was all established many, many years ago before I got here. I know that some get it for what they have done for the town, what jobs they might have in the town and others what trouble they have caused.

Being that my husband is now the Chief of Police, this has become a sore subject with me. If I would get pulled over for speeding,which I have and have gotten a ticket recently and let's face it I do have a lead foot at times, I would totally be fine if a police officer pulled me over. They are doing there job. When they pull me over and realize that my husband is there boss, do I expect to get out of the ticket? NO! In fact, my husband has told them if they see me speeding to pull me over and give me a ticket. I would NEVER say, "Do you know who I am?" Police officers are trained to not to profile people, but to stop people for there actions if being unlawful.

Recently, there are new officers in town. They also have no idea who is who in this town and I think that is great! They will and have pulled people over not because who they are, but because they were breaking the law. I applaud them! When certain people get pulled over and use the line,"Do you know who I am?" I think it is great when the officer says, "Nope" and continue on with there job letting them know why they were pulled over. It amazes me that these people think they are above the law. That they can speed through town and then complain about the speeding down main street! Really, I don't get it.

If you think that you are so great that you have to flaunt who you are, shouldn't you be the one to show a good example to other citizens in this town?

5 comments:

Chrissy said...

Great post. But I think some people don't realize they play this card, and I think some people in authority don't realize they allow it to influence their decisions.

kimberly said...

I agree that some people get off because who they are, but when people actually use those words to officers I think it is very intentional.

Chrissy said...

True. And I think some people in authority are very intentional about allowing it to influence them. I don't just mean law enforcement, this happens in school systems, too.

Bld424 said...

I wish I could do a "do you know who I am" to get out of parking tickets in the MU garages! I am sure they would just say, "Yes, you are the late teacher who doesn't have any time to walk to campus or any quarters to pay the meter. You are the woman who racks up parking tickets and pays for our salary!".

Boo on tickets!(deserved ones get a boo, too!)

Nel said...

Way to go Kim!!! We really really really struggled with this when I owned the print shop in Rolla. All the lawyers parked in all the parking spots on our street that was for our customers... not in the employee parking a block down. Therefore there was no were for customers to park... but did they even get a parking ticket?!?!?!??! Nope... but if they did - it was thrown out.

Ok I am done with my rant now ;o)

But I totally agree with you!