Sunday, October 18, 2009

Texas Culture Lesson Part 2


So someone wanted to learn more about Texas. So here is some more things about Texas that I didn't realize was just a Texas thing.

In Texas there are exits every mile or 1/2 mile. Not like here in Missouri were if you miss an exit you have to drive 5 miles to the next one to turn around. Yes this has happen to me on more than one occasion.

In Texas the queso is a yellow or orange cheese, NOT WHITE. This one is very annoying for me. I can't tell you the type of cheese they use, but it is a thick creamy cheese. I will try to get the info on the kind of cheese it is. But the queso they serve here is a white and watery.

In Texas Friday night is High School Football. The Band plays the fight song before, during and after the game. Unlike STJ I still don't think I have heard the fight song. Hey Tina-can you sing it for me!

In Texas there is a jewelry store called James Avery and they have dangle rings. I had like 5 of them. I haven't seen them here. I love there jewelry I am wanting a charm bracelet from there. They also have beautiful religious jewerly. Check it out! www.jamesavery.com


Hope you enjoyed the info and if you have any other question please let me know. LOL!



5 comments:

Tina said...

The fight song is played every home football game when the players from STJ are being announced (should have made it on time to a game ;o) ) but seriously they do play it every home game ......
and they play it at some of the basketball games too, but pepband isn't there very much.
I wish our band was involved more.
Or at all (like two weeks ago when they just didn't come because it was too muddy - they could've played in the stands, etc.)
But I think schools with bands that play inbetween quarters and downs, and get all crazy peppy at sporting events - football, basketball, assemblies, etc.
Tend to have more pumped up crowds and teams.

Thanks for the tx lessons ;o)
I enjoy learning about where other people come from.... I know it isn't that far - but I feel like I understand you alot better if I know about things like you growing up / HS/ your hometown, etc.
So thanks for sharing ;o)

And I saw Jim running again today - Run, Jim, Run!!!

kimberly said...

Well I am always at the game on time, when I did do. I guess I didn't recognize it. I totally agree the band is just as important than the cheerleaders! Honey I don't think you can handle how I was when I was in high school. I was the loud one! Imagine that! I have really quited down alot. So if you have any other questions about me please don't hesitate to ask. I have always been an open book.(on most things)

kimberly said...

By the way, yes my husband has taken up running. So when you see him please be nice and don't hit him. He is at least trying! I am hoping that he keeps it up!

Tina said...

I think it is great he is running - wish I was too!

Chrissy said...

So proud of Jim.