Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Men in Uniforms/Running

So the elementary school had a benefit at McD's tonight, so Jim called and said he would pick up dinner, even though I had dinner made. (Sorry Chrissy, I only had half of my burger) We try to help out good causes when we can. So Jim goes inside to get our dinner and was approached by a certain someone, I was told by Jim I can't use names, and asked if he was there to arrest someone or make a scene. He said, "No, just coming to get dinner and help out your school" The person was very serious.

Okay this is why I am mad. Just because my husband wears a uniform doesn't mean he is there to make a "scene". He wears a uniform to serve, protect and support our community. The police are not the bad guys! And when it is my husband that puts his neck out for others and then gets treated unkindly it makes me furious. I was thinking that when Bailee is older and Jim isn't able to come home and change his clothes what will people say. And how is this going to effect her. Will she be embarrassed when her father shows up in uniform, because others think he is there to make an arrest. I hope she never feels that way.

I also wanted to update everyone on my progress! Chrissy and I were able to run a 1.5 miles with out stopping. She has a wonderful blog about our accomplishment, please visit it for the details. As many of you know I am not the picture of perfect health, but I am getting out there and doing it. I must admit that running is not really my favorite thing to do at 6 am in 10 degree weather, but the feeling that I get after I am done is so worth it. If you are on the fence about getting out there and exercising please jump over the fence and do it. You might not get the warm fuzzy good for you feeling at first, but give it about 2 weeks and your body and mind will change.

Wishing everyone a great and safe weekend.



5 comments:

Chrissy said...

That's so ridiculous. Don't even let that upset you (even though it gets me worked up just thinking about it...how ignorant that is)! You and Bailee should be SO PROUD of Jim/Daddy. People go into restaurants all the time in uniform. What if a mechanic went to a restaurant in uniform...would someone say, "Oh, are you here to jump start a car?" Or what if a nurse went in with her scrubs on...would someone say, "Are you here to give someone a shot?" Good grief...I highly dislike ignorance.

Bld424 said...

You know, I never thought about it from your perspective. I probably would assume he was on duty if he were in uniform, but that he was on duty and picking up some supper for you! Not making an arrest. What a dopey person. I don't think your daughter will be upset by dumb people like that. She will probably WISH her dad was there to arrest someone who is being unkind!

Thanks for the running post. I have been on the fence. I have been so depressed this winter and so out of shape, too. Its like a cycle though, the more out of shape the sadder I feel and so on. So Thanks. I will try tomorrow.

Barbara Ott-Slaven said...

Wow! That really saddens me that Jim is not being appreciated and respected for serving his community. I can't believe that some people are so ignorant. I know you are proud of him, as you should be. Don't let people who are obviously on the wrong side of the law ruin your day/evening. As for Bailee, why should she be embarrassed of a dad who is going to work, doing good for others, and providing for his family? He's a hero.

Nel said...

It makes me sad that someone would be so disrespectful to your husband and you family... I would be hurt too. But keep your head up and be proud of him and what he does! I am glad that he is one of the guys out there to protect me!

And I think that Bailee will be proud of her daddy - not embarrassed!

Jess said...

I've always loved seeing people in uniform out and about, I have a lot of respect for police/firemen who put there lives on the line everyday to help keep me safe.